Tuesday 24 July 2012

U3A

The University of the Third Age has started a branch in the Isle of Man. The first joint meeting is on Thursday where the ideas for new groups will be announced. I am starting a herb group where we will explore the many and varied uses of herbs, their history, herbs in Art and mythology.
I grow a large variety of herbs in my garden and use them as food, medicinal and dye plants as well as being an endless source of inspiration for my textile art.
Above is an image of a wallhanging that I made a few years ago using herbs as the source.
The image on the left is a block print of fennel, the centre one is Calendula and that on the right is chives. Tyvek paper was painted with acrylics and then ironed lightly to distress the surface. They were further embellished with hand and machine stitch.

1 comment: